Friday, January 8, 2010

Hmmm....

I figure I'd best get some words laid down. (I'll try to be brief. Time is not on my side.) I'm currently reading The Gospel of Luke, two chapters at a time, each morning, in addition to other scriptural type of studying.

I might preface this by saying I'll try not to use this blog to get crazy-deep into wild ideas of doctrine. My philosophy is to first chase after the plain and simple truths, which we're admonished to go after, then just allow the plan and simple truths point to larger themes, as the Spirit dictates.

Nonetheless...here's something from Luke 16:

19 ¶ There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

We have two things going on here (and maybe more). One, the savior's parable admonishes us to get not get caught up in our wealth as some sort of sign of our supposed virtue. Two, we have a vivid description of the spirit world, or more importantly, the condition of our spirits once we leave this life and arrive in the next state of existence. The rich man cries out that the poor man, Lazarus, would leave his state (the bosom of Abraham) and come give him comfort. But Lazarus cannot. Much like the gulf that existed (and still does) between the rich and poor man, another impassable abyss separates the righteous and the...well, wicked, who abide in the spirit world.

While I won't belabor the point here, at some later juncture I'd like to discuss in greater detail the realities of the spirit world, and what happens to us once we depart this life. While modern day revelation of the spirit world gives us comfort, such information give us incentive to stay-on-our-toes and follow the iron rod.

I'll leave it at that, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

StumbleUpon