Saturday, March 2, 2013

"Oh, What's Another Word for That Word": Add Variety to the Commonly Used Words in Writing

I wish I was this brilliant and innovative, but over at Stumbleupon.com I...uh, stumbled upon this list of synonyms for words most commonly used by students in their papers. As an Engrish teacher--I mean English teachur, I fou--

Okay. Let me start over.

As an English teacher I found this list to be, uh...a great way for my students to find--you know--different words for the same old...feelings, again and again. For teachers such as myself, the list is very simple, the words very common, and it's all very...in a row, based on its spelling. ALPHABETICAL! (That's the word I was looking for.)

Now, for you writers out there at your laptop screens or legal pads scribbling fan scripts for Star Wars: Episode VII, you might need a punch-up or two in the vocabulary department when writing that opening crawl. Well, let me say that this list is really, really...

Hold on. Let me check the list...

Great - noteworthy, worthy, distinguished, remarkable, grand, considerable, powerful, much, mighty

Just let me say that this list is really remarkable. Now, follow this link right HERE and do what you will with it. I'm fairly certain it will...

Help - aid, assist, support, encourage, back, wait on, attend, serve, relieve, succor, benefit, befriend, abet

...succor your efforts. In a platonic way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

StumbleUpon